Make a Donation

We are only able to continue our important work thanks to the support and commitment of our donors. In this section you can make a donation now, explore other ways to give, and find information about tax relief. Thank you for supporting the RSE.

Donate Online Now

Other Ways to Donate

You can make a donation using your credit or debit card by calling +44 (0) 131 240 5023

You can download a Donation Form or call +44 (0) 131 240 5023 to arrange for one to be sent to you in the post.

All cheques and vouchers should be made payable to The Royal Society of Edinburgh and posted to:

The Fundraising Department
The Royal Society of Edinburgh
22-26 George Street

Please contact the Fundraising department on +44 (0) 131 240 5023 or [email protected] if you would like to make a payment directly into our bank account.

When you donate through the Give As You Earn scheme your donation is taken from your pay before tax is deducted, which means you save and the RSE gains.

For higher-rate taxpayers (40%), a pre-tax donation of £10 costs you only £6. For basic-rate (20%) taxpayers, a pre-tax donation of £10 costs you only £8. The RSE still get the full £10, because HMRC will make up the difference.

Registering is simple, just follow these steps:

  • Check with your employer that they offer the payroll giving scheme for their staff.
  • Alternatively, search for your employer on the Charities Aid Foundation (CAF) register or call their helpline on 03000 123 000 and they can check for you.
  • If your employer is not already contracted with this scheme, they can register for free by downloading an application pack from the CAF website.
  • Once your employer is contracted, all you need to do is complete a CAF Donor Instruction Form (available from the CAF website) and give it to your employer.

We are extremely grateful to our overseas donors and their ongoing support.

If you are a US citizen and would like to make a tax deductible gift to the RSE this can be done through the American Fund for Charities, a 501(c) (3) tax exempt organisation.

Donations can be made online here.

To pay by cheque, please complete the Donation Form using the RSE reference number AFC775. You can send your donation (cheque made payable to “The American Fund for Charities”) and completed form to the RSE and we will pass it on to the AFC for processing, or you can send it directly to them at:

The American Fund for Charities
c/o Chapel & York Limited
1000 N. West St
Suite 1200
Wilmington DE 19801

Telephone: +1 302 295 4959

For all other overseas donations please contact the RSE Fundraising office on +44 (0) 131 240 5023 or [email protected]

One of the most important actions you can take to protect the important work of the RSE is to remember us in your Will. Your gift to the RSE will have lasting impact on future generations in Scotland and beyond. For more information please contact Jennifer McCoull on +44 (0) 131 240 5023 or [email protected]

Gift Aid it
As a registered charity, the RSE can claim Gift Aid on your donation, if you are a UK taxpayer. This allows you to increase the value of your gift without paying a penny more. For every £1 you give, we can claim an additional 25p. So for example, if you donated £10, the RSE would receive an additional £2.50 from HMRC.

Download our GiftAid Form

Minimise Inheritance Tax
Charitable bequests may be exempt from Inheritance Tax (IHT), so if you would like your favourite cause to benefit from your estate, please consider leaving a legacy to the RSE. For more information about IHT, see the HM Revenue and Customs website.

US tax efficient giving
If you are a US citizen and would like to make a tax deductible gift to the RSE this can be done through the American Fund for Charities, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organisation.


The RSE is grateful and committed to its donors and is dedicated to treating Fellows, Friends and all supporters with the highest level of care and respect. Read our promise to you.