The names of 56 distinguished individuals elected to become Fellows of the RSE are announced today. Spanning the arts, business, and science and technology sectors, they join the RSE in its work to place the advancement of learning and useful knowledge at the centre of public life in Scotland.
The RSE is heartened to see its multi-disciplinary purpose reinforced by an increase in the number of new Fellows from the arts, business, professional and political spheres. They include:
- Ian Rankin OBE, one of Scotland’s most outstanding contemporary literary figures, famous for his Edinburgh-set Inspector Rebus novels.
- Don Paterson OBE, one of Scotland and UK’s pre-eminent poets, as well as Professor of Poetry at the University of St Andrews.
- Margaret Ford, Baroness Ford of Cunninghame, Chairman of STV Group Plc.
- Dame Seona Reid, Chair of National Theatre of Scotland and former Director, Glasgow School of Art.
- Sir George Reid PC, Former Presiding Officer of the Scottish Parliament.
- Mary Robinson, UN Special Envoy for Climate Change and former President of Ireland, who becomes an Honorary Fellow.
Read the full press release and see all the new Fellows here: RSE welcomes 56 new Fellows