The RSE has set up a Working Group to provide strategic advice on the implications of the UK leaving the EU.
The Strategy Group is led by Sir John Elvidge KCB FRSE, former Permanent Secretary to the Scottish Government. Other key members include Professor Sir David Edward KCMG FRSE and Professor Dame Anne Glover DBE FRS FRSE.
Carrying out the detailed work on specific areas of policy is a series of sub-groups on:
- Constitutional law & government; chaired by Professor Paul Beaumont FRSE
- Economy & public finance; chaired by Professor David Bell FRSE
- Economic strategy, trade, key sectors; chaired by Mr Keith Cochrane CBE FRSE
- Research & innovation; chaired by Professor David Cole-Hamilton FRSE
- Migration, diversity, rights & social protection; chaired by Professor Christina Boswell FRSE
Commenting on the proposed work, Sir John commented, “Leaving the European Union will be a complex and momentous task. The RSE believes there is considerable knowledge and insight available through the expertise and impartiality of National Academies such as the RSE, our sister Academies throughout the UK and in Europe.”
“We will seek to work jointly with them. Where there is evidence to support a separate Scottish perspective, we shall aim to articulate that and draw upon the expertise of our Fellows to develop both the arguments and potential ways of reaching positive results throughout the negotiations.”
For any further information please contact Head of Policy Advice: Bristow Muldoon, 0131 240 2787.