Halting Plant Extinction
A race against time to save the underpinning life on Earth
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh and the Royal Society of Edinburgh are hosting a joint event to explore the current plant extinction crisis in plant biodiversity. Recent analysis shows plant species extinction is 500 times higher than it was over 200 years ago*.
A panel of leading experts will explore the future of plant conservation. Join us as we cover key areas such as whether zero extinction is achievable, the balance between species and habitat-based conservation programmes, and how can botanic gardens make a long-term contribution to preventing extinction.
Halting Plant Extinction Panel
Co-chaired by Dr Julieth Serrano, Post Doctoral Researcher at Bioresilience and Professor Peter Hollingsworth FRSE, Director of Science at the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh, the prestigious panel includes four biodiversity and conservation scientists, representing leaders and front-line workers in the global plant conservation effort:
- Professor Jin Chen, Xishuangbanna Botanic Garden, China
- Professor Sandra Díaz, National University of Córdoba, Argentina
- Professor Corneille Ewango, Professor at the University of Kisangani, Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dr Malin Rivers, Head of Conservation Prioritisation, Botanic Gardens Conservation International
We will explore how the panel sees the future for plant conservation. Join us as we cover key areas such as whether zero extinction is achievable, the balance between species and habitat-based conservation programmes, and how can botanic gardens make a long-term contribution to preventing extinction. We will explore these questions and more through looking at examples of success and failure at all stages of the conservation journey, with the insight of our leading experts.
* Humphreys AM, Govaerts R, Ficinski SZ, Nic Lughadha E, Vorontsova MS. Global dataset shows geography and life form predict modern plant extinction and rediscovery. Nat Ecol Evol. 2019;3(7):1043-1047. doi:10.1038/s41559-019-0906-2
Julieth Serrano and Professor Peter Hollingsworth FRSE
Professor Jin Chen, Professor Sandra Díaz, Professor Corneille Ewango and, Dr Malin Rivers