RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship Programme now open!
• Inaugural RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship Programme to invest in up to 20 high-potential entrepreneurs
• This is an invitation to entrepreneurs from Scotland, UK and from right across the world to submit ideas which have the potential to be transformative.
• One-year package of benefits – up to £900,000 total grant funding across the 20 Fellowships, over £150,000 comprehensive and cutting-edge training programme personally tailored to develop business skills delivered to the highest of international standards, a dedicated mentor and access to professional, financial and entrepreneurial networks
• Apply by the deadline of Wednesday 2 May 2018.
Benefits – at a glance
Successful applicants will form the inaugural Fellowship Programme cohort, thus becoming RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship Champions. You will also benefit from some invaluable time to dedicate and focus on your start-up, with personalised support and the grant. An RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship will be awarded to each of the 20 Fellows operating over a period of 12* months and consisting of the following elements:
● A total of up to £900,000 grant funding is available across all 20 Fellows. Up to £45,000 grant per Fellow – £25,000 maintenance grant and up to £20,000 business development fund
● A total of over £150,000 worth of comprehensive business training to develop business skills, delivered to the highest standard of international excellence by individuals who have a proven track record of commercial success – cutting-edge programme tailored to fit the requirements of each covering important topics including: financial plan, business plan, start up and spin-out process, marketing and sales, securing investment, investor pitching, building your team and scaling your business
● Access to professional, financial and entrepreneurial networks
● A dedicated mentor will support you throughout the programme from one or more of the stakeholder organisations
● Visiting status within an agreed university or research institute
● One year membership of Entrepreneurial Scotland
*Note: The RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship is a 12-month programme. Those demonstrating timely progress and a strong case for further support may be eligible to receive support for a further 12 months. Full terms and conditions apply.
Eligibility – at a glance
● Be ambitious to learn and eager to start-up and scale up your business!
● Any industry, sector or start-up idea
● The company need not be incorporated by the start of the Programme
● Open to companies with a turnover or investment to date of no more than £150,000
● New or existing start-ups must be established or located in Scotland, UK
● Must complete the application form providing your business proposal and personal entrepreneurial potential by the closing date of Wednesday 2 May at 17:00 (no late submissions accepted). Answer the following entry criteria: Feasibility of the technology proposed and its potential place in the market; Market potential of the opportunity presented; Commercialisation potential of the business idea proposed; The feasibility of getting the proposed product or service to the market; Potential of the individual to become a success in business
● Be available if shortlisted for interview between 5–21 June 2018. Also be available during w/c Monday 25 June 2018 for the start of the training programme.
Full terms and conditions apply.
The £4m Unlocking Ambition Challenge is delivered by key stakeholders from Scotland’s entrepreneurial ecosystem as part of the Scotland CAN DO initiative, backed by the First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon. The Royal Society of Edinburgh (RSE) will lead the academic stream of the inaugural programme based on the highly successful Enterprise Fellowship Programme that the RSE has been running for 20+ years. We will invest in up to 20 early-stage high-potential entrepreneurs with innovative projects, with the aim of forming start-up businesses in Scotland in the new RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship Programme.
Up to 20 successful applicants will receive an RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship operating over a period of a year with a host of bespoke benefits, including total grant funding of up to £900,000 (up to £45,000 grant per Fellow – £25,000 maintenance grant and up to £20,000 business development fund); a total of over £150,000 for a comprehensive and cutting-edge training programme personally tailored to develop business skills delivered to the highest of international standards; a dedicated mentor for each Fellow, and access to professional, financial and entrepreneurial networks.
There are two programmes within the Unlocking Ambition Challenge: both are focused on supporting more innovative, purpose-driven entrepreneurs. The RSE Enterprise Fellowship programme is for up to 20 talented earlier stage start-ups hosted by a number of Scottish Universities or Research Institutes led by the RSE and the SE programme – a scaling development programme for up to 20 successful start-ups led by Scottish Enterprise.
This is an invitation to entrepreneurs from Scotland, the UK and from right across the world to submit ideas which have the potential to be transformative. You don’t have to be in Scotland or be Scottish – you can be anywhere in the world to apply. You are also not required to have an existing connection to the RSE. The only condition is that you agree to relocate or establish your business here in Scotland.
The RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship Programme will nurture and support early-stage innovators, academics and researchers who have entrepreneurial potential and an innovative business idea. To succeed, we are looking for the most talented and ambitious people around the world to see Scotland as the place they want to establish their businesses.
Up to 20 talented entrepreneurs will be chosen, based on their own potential, the market potential of their business ideas, and the contribution that they might make to our economy and to wider society. They will be mentored and led by some of Scotland’s leading entrepreneurs in a year- long intensive entrepreneurial business development programme. The aim of the programme is to provide the framework within which individuals can experience the most relevant approach to develop the commercial strength of their ideas and be equipped to succeed in today’s fast-paced global business environment.
Business and Innovation Minister, Paul Wheelhouse, said: “Unlocking Ambition is a fresh and innovative approach to maximising opportunities for the wealth of talent that exists in Scotland, or that could be attracted by the opportunities here.
“This programme is a high priority for the Scottish Government, because by tapping into the experience of Scotland’s most successful business people, as well as the great companies and institutions based here, we can unlock the tremendous potential of the next generation of entrepreneurs.”
“The Royal Society of Edinburgh is delighted to provide support to this worthwhile programme to unlock the ambition of talented entrepreneurs. Since its launch in 1997, the RSE Enterprise Fellowship scheme has supported more than 200 graduates and researchers to develop and launch new businesses. We look forward to supporting and working with this new cohort to help turn their energy and motivation, and of course their new ideas, into a reality.” Edward Cunningham CBE FRSE, Chairman, Royal Society of Edinburgh Enterprise Fellowship Programme.
The longer-term objective is to support Scotland in becoming a world-leading entrepreneurial nation and the programme will be delivered working alongside Scottish Government agencies, Scottish Enterprise, Scottish EDGE, Entrepreneurial Scotland and other partner organisations from the private sector, and third sector who will help support the successful candidates.
The RSE Unlocking Ambition Enterprise Fellowship Programme presents the ideal start-up changing opportunity by supporting promising ideas with the necessary skillsets to build them into successful companies. If this is you, then please apply by the deadline of 5 pm on Wednesday 2 May 2018. Visit the RSE website for more information and to apply. If you have a question please email RSE’s Enterprise Officer, Hannah Chater– 0131 240 2799
The new programme aims to link high-potential individuals with established and successful entrepreneurs and business advisors to help them develop their business ideas and create a successful business.
The entrepreneurial mentors include:
Professor Steve Beaumont OBE FRSE, Emeritus Vice-Principal, University of Glasgow;
Shonaig Macpherson CBE FRSE, Chairman of The Robertson Trust;
David Lane CBE FRSE, Founding Director, Edinburgh Centre for Robotics;
Dr Fiona Marston, CEO, Absynth Biologics Ltd;
Alister Minty, Chairman, Entrepreneur Business School;
Dr Margaret Anne Craig, Former Founder and CEO of Clyde Biosciences, Entrepreneurial Ambassador for the Scottish Government;
Professor Sara Carter FRSE, Associate Principal (Learning & Teaching) at the University of Strathclyde and Professor of Entrepreneurship at the Hunter Centre for Entrepreneurship, Strathclyde Business School;
Andrew Muir, Investor, Midven Ltd;
Judy Wagner, Co-founder and Director, FWB Park Brown;
Calum Forsyth, Co-founder and CEO, Seed Haus;
Gordon Short, Director, Entrepreneur Business School Ltd;
Lucinda Bruce-Gardyne FRSE, Founder and Research and Product Development Director, Genius Foods Ltd;
Professor Andy Porter FRSE and Director, Chief Technical Officer, Elasmogen Ltd