Funding area: Career Development, International, Science, Technology, Engineering, Maths and Medicine (STEMM), Social Sciences
Deadline extended for RSE Saltire Research Awards: Monday 26 July at 12:00.
The Royal Society of Edinburgh, in collaboration with the Scottish Funding Council and the Scottish Government, is pleased to invite applications for the RSE saltire research excellence Fellowships.
The purpose of the RSE saltire research excellence Fellowships is to foster and support the exchange of internationally renowned academics between Scottish and European universities or research institutes that they should deliver transformative research in their chosen field and enhance research excellence and capacity within the participating departments. Funding will create the opportunity for academics to pursue original work away from the demands of teaching and/or administration and to work with colleagues in their “temporary host” department to address key research challenges.
Senior-career definition: academics who are normally beyond 15 years from the award of their doctorate. This terminology takes no account of either an applicant’s age or current status in determining eligibility for this award. This does not include career breaks.
- Open to senior career internationally recognised academics of all disciplines. This terminology takes no account either of an applicant’s age or current status (e.g., Professor, Lecturer) in determining eligibility for this award.
- Open to academics based in Scotland or an EU country (see general terms and conditions for definitions of country eligibility ). Applicants must identify an exchange partner(s) from an EU country (Scottish applicants) or Scotland (EU applicants).
- Open to applicants who are a full or part-time academic in any discipline and are tenured and/or salaried staff of a Higher Education Institution or Research Institute or Cultural Institution in Scotland or an EU country.
- Applicants on short or fixed-term contracts should ensure their contracts extend for at least three months after the end of the proposed project.
- Upon appointment, awardees will be required to devote themselves full time to the research project specified in the application form.
- An application will not be considered if a report on a previous RSE grant is overdue
Please be advised this is a programme designed for two exchanging applicants (inbound and outbound). One applicant will need to be from a Scottish-based HEI, exchanging places with an applicant from an EU-based HEI for the duration of the award.
- Applicants are required to pursue their research in a Higher Education Institution (HEI), Research Institute (RI) or Cultural Institution in Scotland or EU country; only these are acceptable as host and participating institutions.
- The research can be in any academic discipline.
The funding is open for applications; applicants are required to:
- Optional: From Tuesday 8 June, download an offline version of the RSE saltire research excellence Fellowships application form. This can be used for reference for the online application opening on Monday 28 June. Please note if you choose to fill out this form you will be able to copy and paste the details into the final application.
- Create a profile on the RSE CiviCRM, or log in using your existing details
- Access the RSE saltire research excellence Fellowships online application.
- Complete the details to submit your online application form by Monday 26 July, 12:00
- Upload as part of the online form a statement of support from your head of department and an institutional statement of support and if you are undertaking your research at a different institution to the one from where you are usually employed a statement of support from that institution.
- Arrange for two referee forms to be sent to the RSE [email protected] by Monday 26 July 2021, 12:00. These are available to download from the resources below.
- Successful applications should have a start date between Wednesday 1 September 2021- Tuesday 31 March 2022
Though exchanging partners will be applying jointly for one award, each applicant involved in the application (one Scottish-based applicant, and one EU-based applicant) will need to fill out a separate application form, making sure to clearly identify each other as their co-applicant in the form.
Resources for applicants
Register on RSE CiviCRM to apply
RSE saltire research award referee form (Doc, 41.4kb)
For more information regarding the award, please contact the Research Awards team on [email protected].
Fund deadline passed
This fund is currently closed for applications.
Salary up to £75,000 plus research costs of £10,000 per award